Mission, Vision, Values & Outcomes
To educate student physiotherapists:
- Who deliver compassionate and effective physiotherapy in dynamic health environments through integration of best evidence and physiotherapy practice management principles, professional standards, and collaborative care.
- Who demonstrate leadership by contributing to their profession, to their communities and to the physiotherapy knowledge base.
The McMaster Physiotherapy Program will transform physiotherapy education, advocacy, discovery and knowledge exchange.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Innovation and Creativity
- Honesty and Integrity
- Lifelong learning
STUDENT OUTCOMES/EXPECTED GRADUATE ATTRIBUTES (ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES):
As experts in movement function and dysfunction and functional performance who promote, improve, and maintain mobility and health, graduates of the McMaster Physiotherapy Program will:
- Demonstrate clinical competency in physiotherapy diagnosis, prognosis, evaluation, treatment planning, and implementation across health care settings. (*Physiotherapy Expert)
- Collaborate in a professional, ethical, legal, and compassionate manner to optimize health care delivery. (*Professionalism, *Collaboration, *Communication, *Management)
- Demonstrate a commitment to society and physiotherapy through advocacy and advancement of the profession. (*Leadership, *Scholarship, *Professionalism, *Communication, *Collaboration)
- Critically evaluate and effectively apply evidence as a basis for physiotherapy practice in order to determine the effectiveness of interventions and to contribute to the body of knowledge in physiotherapy. (*Scholarship, *Management)
- Function as effective knowledge exchange brokers using a variety of communication mediums, including verbal and written communication, and technology. (*Communication, *Collaboration, *Scholarship)
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills and behaviours necessary to safely function as an autonomous and self-regulated physiotherapy professional in all roles. (*Physiotherapy Expert, *Professionalism, *Scholarship)
*Essential Competencies - http://www.alliancept.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Competency-Profile-Final2018_EN.pdf
- Provide students with a variety of innovative learning experiences that reflect current and emerging practices in physiotherapy and education.
- Provide students with an academic and clinical educational foundation that enables them to safely practice within the professional, legal and ethical framework of physiotherapy practice.
- Promote the importance of professional growth and life-long learning to the continued development of self as physiotherapist.
- Deliver a curriculum that is responsive to the educational needs of students and communities served by the McMaster Physiotherapy Program.
- Ensure program quality through ongoing assessment of outcomes.
- Education the communities served by the McMaster Physiotherapy Program about current and emerging roles of physiotherapy.